[LCC] CTU 2009

Mark Ketchell k5er at arrl.net
Wed Dec 17 16:50:44 EST 2008

Hi Charlie,
	I don't know if there will be a "third year curriculum" or not. They
haven't finalized courses or professors yet, but here's the way I see it.

	2007 was my first year to attend Dayton. We were shuffling from room to
room, meeting people whose calls I had seen over and over in the contest
results but never expecting to meet. There was so much information that it
was overwhelming.

	In 2008, I knew some of the guys and knew just enough to be dangerous. I
tried to focus on what I thought was important, and missed other parts that
were just as important. In 2009, I'll go back knowing more of the guys, and
have worked many several  times during contests this year. I've improved
the filtering and automation in the shack, so during a contest I can spend
less time working on "things" and more time working stations. I am making
improvements and using techniques they taught, and am seeing my scores go
up, but I I easily see that the "upper tier" are doing things that I am
not, so I am going back to learn more.
	Guess I could compare it to auto racing. Even if you had raced and won at
the local track, if you could go spend 8 hours with Al Unser and Richard
Petty and have them tell you, in detail, how they developed their skills
and won championships year after year, would it be worth the time and
money? Yep, I'm headed back to CTU this year.

73,
K5ER

>I didn't know CTU was going to do a 3rd year, or are they starting over
first year?
>I wasn't planning on taking it again, unless the courses go beyond the
first and second years.